This Blog's Purpose

The purpose of this blog is help people improve their Mind, Body, Soul (relationships) and their Money.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Debt free interview #12 - Emma of "From Aldi to Harrod's" Blog

This week's interview comes from a Brit - Emma the blogger responsible for the blog "From Aldi to Harrods" blog. She shares her story of getting out of debt here today: 

1.       How did you get into debt?
It started when I turned 18 and I was about to head off to university. My bank gave me a student credit card with a fairly low limit of just £200 ($339.231). I bought a house whilst I was at university so I had a lot more living expenses that the usual rent, food and phone bills - I had to kit out an entire house. Then when I took a part time job with Marks and Spencer Money, I was given another credit card, this time with a £1,500($2,544.11) ( limit. It just spiraled from there. I'd love to say that I at least spent it on having an extravagant lifestyle, but that's not the case. I used credit cards for living costs whilst at university, and then I graduated in to the recession and couldn't find a job, but still had a mortgage to pay.
2.       How deeply in debt were you at the worst point? What did it feel like?
I was very much a "head in the sand" person, and I don't know the true extent of my debt at its worst. At the end of 2013 it was close to £5,000 ($8,480.17)  still outstanding. Although I managed my debt well (it was on 0% interest and I never missed a payment) it still felt like a chain around my neck. How could I be going and enjoying meals out when I still had debts to pay off? 
3.       When did you decide to get out of debt and why?
When my fiancé proposed to me in November 2013, I knew our wedding would be an added expense. I was determined to make sure that I was walking down the aisle debt free. I managed to clear my debt with a year to go until we say our vows.
4.       How long did it take you to get completely debt free?
 I've been trying since I was 18 (over 8 years), but I made a conscious effort to pay off the last £5k ($8,480.17) in 6 months.
 5.       What advice would you give to someone trying to become debt free?
Don't underestimate how much a little change can help. You might think that cancelling your paid TV subscription will only save you a small amount per month, but it does all add up.

No comments:

Post a Comment