Contrary to popular belief - Cinco De Mayo does NOT represent Mexican independence day. Instead it commemorates the unlikely victory of the Mexican army over their better funded French army in the battle of Pueblo on May 5th 1862.
These Mexican businessman - especially the richest - have overcome enormous odds to count themselves members of the elite billionaires club.
So to commemorate Cinco De Mayo - here are the 5 richest Billionaires in Mexico based on Forbe's Billionaires list:
5. Jerónimo Arango - US$ 4 B - Mr. Arango, with the help of his brothers, made his fortune when e sold the majority of his interest in Grupo CIFRA to WalMart. Apparently since the sale Mr. Arango has taken time to enjoy life and relocated to Los Angeles, CA.
4. Ricardo Salinas Pliego - $US 9.9 B - Mr. Pliego heads a family business that is on the verge of turning 100 in about 3 years from now. That business - Grupo Electra is now one of Mexco's biggest retail financial services outfits. In addition Mr. Pliego also owns TV Azteca - one Mexico's largest television channels. He create a controversy last year when he attempted to show a soccer game instead of the presidential debates.
3. Germán Larrea Mota-Velasco - US$ 16.7 B - Mr. Mota-Velasco owns 51% of Grupo Mexico - One of the world's largest and Mexico's biggest copper producer. He initially go into the printing business in the 70's and later sold his interest in that company (Grupo Impresa).
2. Alberto Baillères - $18.2 B - Mexico's second richest man has most of his money invested into a Silver mining operation. However, he has invested in a shopping malls, insurance companies as well as annuities in order to make sure his wealth continues to grow.
1. Carlos Helu Slim - US$ 74 B - Not only is Carlos Slim the Richest man in Mexico - he is also the reigning richest man in the WORLD with over 70 Billion dollars in the bank and mainly companies he owns including Telmex, INBURSA, América Móvil, CompUSA, and WorldCom.