This Blog's Purpose

The purpose of this blog is help people improve their Mind, Body, Soul (relationships) and their Money.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thought for Thursday - My momma the bibliophile

Studies have shown that reading to your child on a regular basis increases their ability to read in the future. That's why I'm so glad and blessed that my mother was and still is an avid reader.

My mother is a retired elementary school teacher and she has always had books around.One thing my mother taught me and my younger brother early on was the love of books and reading. She used to always make the trip to the library sound like a trip to Cedar Point when we're growing up.

"Guess where we're going today?"she'd ask in a sing song voice.

We'd look up to her in anticipation and say

"Where?!" bubbling over with anticipation.

"The Library!"

"Yay!" we'd shout out in anticipation.

I may be exaggerating a little, but not by much. Both me and my younger brother have tons of books around at all times. We're constantly reading and learning. Hopefully someday I can pass that enthusiasm on to my own son.

If you have children and want to increase their vocabulary skills - I highly recommend reading to them. Just like my momma the bibliophile did for me and my brother growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment