1. How did you get into debt?
"In the past, we had a car loan and credit card debt. The car loan was something we could have avoided, or perhaps a smaller balance if we went for a different vehicle. The credit card debt was largely just being dumb and not knowing any better!"
2. How deeply in debt were you at the worst point? What did it feel like?
The car loan was $11,500 and the credit card debt was somewhere around $8-10k at worst.
3. When did you decide to get out of debt and why?It was around 2008 when we got serious about our finances and buckled down to pay off everything.
4. How long did it take you to get completely debt free?
Took a few months to take care of the credit cards and a little bit longer to get rid of the car loan.
5. What advice would you give to someone trying to become debt free?
Advice would be to make a plan. Add it all up from all sources and know what you're working with. If it's huge, don't be overwhelmed -- break it into chunks. Like a student loan could be viewed as total divided by 8 semesters. Or the number of classes you took, even. Just focus on each segment rather than thinking about the whole balance if it's stressful.
And do it as fast as possible -- move on to better things than paying debts! :)